This determined old hero gives the following account of the attack on his flag, at his house in Baltimore County, Maryland, on Monday, July 11, 1864:

“On Sunday evening, the 10th, I heard that Dulaney’s Valley was filled with rebels, stealing horses and cattle; did not elieve it, but thought they were Federal troops pressing horses. About sundown, the same day, I heard the rebels were on the Harford Pike, about a mile distant, the people living thereon being much excited. I went to bed, leaving my lamp dimly burning all night, and arose early on Monday morning, and ran up the glorious old Stars and Stripes rather earlier than usual. I then sat down in my front porch, and was soon accompanied by Mrs. Day. About six o’clock A. M. my little colored girl told her mistress that she heard soldiers up the road hurrahing. I still thought they were our troops. In a few minutes my wife said she heard the sound of horses’ feet coming down the road; and looking up the road, said, ”There they are,’ two of them coming in full tilt. A little while after, they were before the door, and I moved down on the lower step to see if there were any more near; and seeing none, resumed my seat. By this time the foremost one had dismounted, seized hold of the bottom of the flag, jerked it down, and broke the rope, cursing and calling it a ‘damned old rag.’ I then cooly asked him, ‘What do you mean? What are you about?’ and, without waiting a reply, ran immediately up stairs, seized one of my two guns, already loaded in my bed-room, and shot the foremost one of them, out of the second story window, which was already up, while he was in the act of folding up the flag for his departure. he then raised his hands and fell back, exclaiming, ‘I am shot.’ I then seized the other gun, ran down stairs, when I was met by Mrs. D. crying, imploring me not to shoot again, or they would kill me. I, however, pressed out into the yard to take a shot at the other; but he was among the missing, having clapped spurs to his horse on the fall of his companion, which I regretted very much, as he did not give ma an opportunity of giving him his bitters also; and seeing none of the squad at the time, I walked up to the wounded man, and said, ‘You rebel rascal, I will now finish you,’ and cocked the gun for that purpose, but he asked for mercy, and surrendered; and knowing that he had received the whole charge, I was satisfied that he could not live, and, therefore, did not shoot him again. By the time I heard the whole troop coming down the road; I returned to my bed-room, got my six-barrelled revolver, and with the loaded gun started for my hiding-place, about two hundred and fifty yards north-east of my house, and hardly had done so before they were all at the house, and fired all my buildings, except a small corn and hen-house. Everything was burnt, including all my personal property, and thirty-five dollars in money, which was either taken by the rebels or consumed by the fire; after which I went to one of my nearest neighbors to get my breakfast, and went to a second one to get dinner, and was convoyed to Baltimore on the same day. On Thursday after, I had my name enrolled in the Company of the Aged Guard of 1862, commanded by Captain Child, for the defence of Baltimore; and on the same day obtained a guard from headquarters to bring in the wounded rebel, whom I took to West’s Hospital, where he has since died.

About admin

I'm a lover of God and His Son Jesus Christ. In addition I love to make yesterday's words come alive through the republishing of good and profitable books of old. The Civil War project is an ongoing labor of love. - Karan
This entry was posted in Recent Entries. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply